GRACE EPISCOPAL CHURCH
254 Hicks Street, Brooklyn, NY
INTERIOR & EXTERIOR RESTORATION & REHABILITATION
PACA was retained to prepare a Master Plan for this Church built in 1847 by Richard Upjohn, within the Brooklyn Heights Historic District. The work was phased over six years and included installation of a lead coated copper roof, replacement storm drainage, stained glass window conservation, extensive unit-by-unit masonry conservation of the olive sandstone tracery and brown sandstone believed to be quarried from Belleville, NJ (unconfirmed by the conservation contractor), and replication of carved stone ornamental features. Interior work included replacement of the boiler, underpinning of the organ chamber and chancel, plaster repairs to the sanctuary and redecorating the organ chamber and new offices for the Clergy.
Some interior redecoration was undertaken, principally to remove lead paint and expose what was a blue and gold stenciled design painted directly on the ceiling boarding, and a complex series of wall stencils that were uncovered and exposed for a future phased project. The new interiors were reserved for the choir, Music Director's office, Clergy offices and toilets. Repairs to the organ chamber and basement crawl space for the organ and heating ducts were also incorporated in this work.
The project has received numerous awards from the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission, New York Landmarks Conservancy and the Brooklyn Heights Association.
Brooklyn, New York
Grace Episcopal Church