The Hudson River Museum of Westchester, Yonkers, NY
INTERIOR & EXTERIOR
RESTORATION & REHABILITATION
On the interior, the original Parlor & Billiard Rooms, formerly contemporary exhibition spaces, were restored to their original appearance. Replication of lost architectural ornament and millwork includes replica mantelpieces following the design of Daniel Pabst, draperies, lighting, and ceiling stenciling.
With only black & white archival photos to refer to, the issue of 'colorizing' the interior became a major interpretation and replication issue. Extensive research in England of wallpapers produced for export determined that the designer of the original wallcoverings in the Parlor Room was Bruce Talbert, a contemporary of William Morris, allowing for an accurate replication around which parlor ceiling stencils, furnishing fabrics and carpets could be coordinated and specially produced.
The stained-glass Gothic sunflower laylight over the central staircase was also restored by removing a lower ceiling which had closed off an upper balcony.
A comprehensive replacement of the existing MEP services along with a new code-compliant fire and life safety system were installed to meet current museum-quality requirements.
This project received the National Victorian Society in America Award and the Victorian Society Award, Metropolitan Chapter in 2001.
CARPET DESIGN DETAIL
WALLPAPER DESIGN DETAIL
The Hudson River Museum of Westchester,
511 Warburton Avenue, Yonkers, New York
The Hudson River Museum of Westchester
Glenview Mansion, one of the few remaining Hudson River estates, built between 1876-77, was designed and constructed by Charles W. Clinton for John Trevor at the beginning of the Gilded Age. Serving as the main building for the Hudson River Museum of Westchester, the Eastlake-style Victorian mansion was restored and rehabilitated to its original appearance on both the interior and exterior.
On the exterior, asphalt shingles were removed and replaced with a colorful variegated slate roof. The rusticated stone exterior, porches and slate roof were repaired and restored on the basis of surviving evidence and historic photographs. Wooden balustrades and a Juliet balcony were designed to replace those which had been removed in the 1970s.
Facade before restoration
Facade after restoration
Original parlor c.1876. Edward Bierstadt photo c.1885
Restored parlor with ceiling stencil, wall covering, replicated mantelpiece
Replicated hand-carved Pabst Mantelpiece
Parlor immediately after restoration