MADISON AVENUE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
921 Madison Ave, New York, NY
EXTERIOR & INTERIOR RESTORATION
The Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church and Parish House, located in the Upper East Side Historic District, underwent extensive renovation and restoration work. James Ware designed the sanctuary in 1899. The adjacent twelve-story Church House, designed by James Gamble Rogers, was erected in 1910. Following an extensive Master Plan for the three interconnected buildings: Church, Parish House and Chapel, PACA was retained to renovate the interior of the Sanctuary and the Church House.
Work to the interior of the Church included: removal of the raked floor and new level floor slab, comprehensive basement renovations for new toilets, a full service kitchen and a multi-purpose meeting hall. The Sanctuary rehabilitation was part restoration, part adaptive-reuse as the chancel was completely redesigned. In addition to wood panel cleaning and restoration, the Church also underwent extensive repairs to the pews with new upholstery, repairs to windows, new marble and slate flooring with maple plank floors under the pews, and replicated lighting. The extent of removal of the interior decoration provided the opportunity to replace the mechanical, electrical and heating systems, add new fire and life-safety systems, and new sound and recording systems, comprehensive MEP, fire & life safety, and security services. PACA was also responsible for the design of all of the new liturgical furnishings: presbytery seating, choir, table, railing and font. The main church entrance was also rebuilt and the entire complex is now ADA accessible. Other related work included localized repairs throughout the building complex and the replacement and upgrading of two elevators.
Manhattan, New York
Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church
Date of Completion