NYC GOLF CLUB HOUSES

PAGE AYRES COWLEY ARCHITECTURE, LLC (PACA), WAS RETAINED AS ARCHITECT OF RECORD OF FOUR PROJECTS FOR AMERICAN GOLF CORPORATION, LICENSEE TO NYC PARKS DEPARTMENT, NEW YORK

CONDITIONS ASSESSMENT, RESTORATION, REHABILITATION & ADAPTIVE RE-USE

PELHAM / SPLIT ROCK GOLF CLUBHOUSE

PACA, retained as Architect of Record, prepared a conditions assessment and feasibility study for the enlargement and comprehensive upgrade of the clubhouse, designed in 1936 by Amyar Embury II. The study resulted in a comprehensive rehabilitation and restoration project, which included a de-mountable event tent to be used for the duration of the license.

To achieve the level of special event and restaurant service, the locker rooms were converted to a commercial-grade kitchen; new toilets, a pro shop, and a casual grille/bar was restored to its original appearance. The main clubroom and rotunda have been fully restored, including the Allen Saalburg murals now completing their restoration and conservation by West Lake Conservators in Skaneateles, NY. The custom-designed tent was fabricated by De Boer Vinings in Holland.     

Location

Pelham Bay Park, Bronx, New York

Project Team

Structural: Eipel, Barieri & Marschaussen

MEP Consultant: Arthur Metzler Associates

Fire Suppression Systems & Life Safety: Automated Design Consultants

Civil & Site Engineering: Langan Engineering

Landscape: Quennell Rothschild & Partners

Cost Estimator: The Tocci Group (formerly FD+CC)

Kitchen Consultant:  Foodservices Facilities International

Date of completion

2009

RESTORATION & REHABILITATION

DYKER BEACH GOLF CLUBHOUSE

As one of four NYC Parks Department golf facilities studied by our firm, Dyker Beach was the third project to be studied that would ultimately include a large new addition to serve as a catering facility and event space.  Following an existing condition assessment and feasibility study for the enlargement and comprehensive upgrade of the 1936 clubhouse designed by Francis F. Pannaman, with the golf course original golf course designed by Tom Bendelow in 1897 when the golf course was called Dyker Meadow Golf Course and redesigned by Jon Van Kleel in 1935 as part of the Works Progress Association projects.

Our firm adapted the building to incorporated catering facility, including the new 10,000 square foot Grand Ballroom Addition. A second modest addition was created to link the pro shop with the informal grille room.   The project was carried out as if the building were designated, as this building was one of many Works Progress Association (WPA) projects undertaken by the NYC parks Department in the 1930’s.

This project was awarded several building trade awards and The Queens /Bronx  Building Award in 2009.

Location

1030 86th Street, Brooklyn, New York

Owner

New York City Parks Department

Client 

American Golf Corporation, licensee

Project Team

Structural: Eipel, Barieri & Marschaussen

MEP Consultant: Arthur Metzler Associates

Fire Suppression Systems & Life Safety: Automated Design Consultants

Civil & Site Engineering: Langan Engineering

Landscape: Quennell Rothschild & Partners

Cost Estimator: The Tocci Group (formerly FD+CC)

Kitchen Consultant:  Foodservices Facilities International

Date of completion

 2008

RESTORATION & REHABILITATION

CLEARVIEW GOLF CLUBHOUSE

The park that includes the Golf Course was established in 1925.   William Henry Tucker Sr., Landscape Architect designed the park and golf course.  In 1935, again under the Works Progress Administration, a new clubhouse was constructed.  The architect for the original clubhouse on this site is unknown, but the alteration of that building was to the design of Aymar Embury II.

As a partial rehabilitation of the building had already taken place, the second floor having been converted to office support for city-wide central reservations for American Golf Corporation, the ground floor of the building need substantial renovation and complete compliance upgrades. Of the four American Golf Corporation projects, the site conditions adjacent to the existing building were too restrictive and could not accommodate a major banqueting or catering addition. A different type of enclosure was constructed primarily for golfers and tournaments – a roofed pavilion with a barbecue for seasonal use. On the interior, the cafeteria was expanded, by enclosing the rear porch that  provided a larger dining space with additional seating and access to the existing Pro Shop. Also part of the re-planning of the ground floor were the installation of ADA toilets and a new kitchen and snack bar.

Location

Willets Point Boulevard, Bayside, Queens, New York

Owner

New York City Parks Department

Client

American Golf Corporation, licensee

Project Team

Structural: Eipel, Barieri & Marschaussen

MEP Consultant: Arthur Metzler Associates

Fire Suppression Systems & Life Safety: Automated Design Consultants

Civil & Site Engineering: Langan Engineering

Landscape: Quennell Rothschild & Partners

Cost Estimator: The Tocci Group (formerly FD+CC)

Kitchen Consultant: Foodservices Facilities International

Date of Completion

2007

RESTORATION, REHABILITATION & NEW CONSTRUCTION

THE LATOURETTE GOLF CLUBHOUSE

Originally built as the residence for David Latourette in 1836, the historic building was purchased in 1928 by the City of New York. It was converted to a clubhouse in 1936 to accommodate the city-owned Latourette Golf Course. In 1973, portions of the site and building were designated an individual New York City Landmark.

Following a devastating fire in 2001, a major rehabilitation project was undertaken to return the building to its original appearance. The first step was a detailed survey and condition assessment of the landmark building and restaurant annex to assess the extent of structural damage. At the owner’s request and with permission from the NYC Parks Department, we participated in the discussions to determine the value and type of repairs. We argued that it would cost no more to restore the now exposed historic interiors rather than conceal them again under fiberglass and gypsum wallboard. The insurance company cooperated and the result was a comprehensive restoration and rehabilitation that included replacement MEP and early warning life safety systems. During the rehabilitation, great care was taken to maintain the integrity of the original Greek Revival Architecture while at the same time incorporating current code compliant requirements for life safety and handicapped accessibility. The project was completed in 1993.

This project received a Preservation League of Staten Island Achievement Award in 2004 and an AIA Staten Island Merit Award for Restoration in 2005. This commission was the first of four golf course clubhouses that the firm rehabilitated for the American Golf Corporation. The project was revisited in 2005 and a Master Plan was prepared for a new building to be erected opposite the historic building to be used as a catering and event facility. This plan was never implemented.

For photography credits, click on photo gallery.

Location

1001 Richmond Hill Road, Staten Island, New York

Owner

New York City Parks Department

Client

American Golf Corporation, licensee

Consultant Team

Structural: Eipel Engineering

MEP: Landmark Facilities Group

Cost Estimator: The Tocci Group (formerly FD+CC)

Contractor: Fame Construction, Inc.

Date of completion

2005

Color rendering by Sven Johnson

©2019  PAGE AYRES COWLEY ARCHITECTURE, LLC