This block of Madison Avenue was originally a series of identical row houses that were modified in 1922 by a requirement to remove the stoops due to street widening and encroachment of the public thoroughfare. The result was a series of setbacks at the lower two levels. The two corner row houses (706-708) were demolished and replaced by a Neo-Federal style bank in 1921 designed by Frank Eaton Newman, a prominent Philadelphia architect. The adjacent remaining row house (702) was partially demolished and remained a two-story taxpayer until purchased by JP Morgan Chase Bank. The row house, at 22 East 63rd Street was demolished in 1937 purchased by the bank. The assembled parcel has been reconfigured with a restored bank building at the corner flanked by new infill that is sympathetic in scale and character to the context and landmarked bank. The proposed use will be approximately 38,000 square feet for a flagship retailer.
702-708 Madison Avenue, Manhattan, New York
Post restoration of Bank Building north facade with new bluestone sidewalk, Corner 63rd St. & Madison Ave
Completed restoration of Bank with new contextual infill buildings, 2018
Before Bank restoration, 2012
Photo by PRESERV, INC.