791 MADISON AVENUE
STOREFRONT RECONFIGURATION & FACADE RESTORATION
This Italianate styled corner property was original built in 1871 as one of five row houses and designed by F.S. Barus for the owner Russell Sage by Jackson & Steinmetz, Builders.
The building was initially constructed of brick with a brownstone façade fronting Madison Avenue. Extensive alterations were made beginning in 1896 with an addition infilling the rear yard, further modifications to the 67th Street façade with a new entrance, and lastly in 1925 when a stoop was removed and a storefront replaced the lower two floors of the façade.
The Landmarks Preservation Commission approved a replacement storefront and extensive repairs to both facades as the substrate was in very poor condition. The goal was to unify the disparate elements – original and later alterations -- into a cohesive design, with large storefront display windows for a new art gallery tenant.
791 Madison Avenue, Manhattan, New York