CONSERVATION & ALTERATION & ROOFTOP ADDITION
Built in 1898 the Wellington, on Manhattan's Upper East Side, was built with eleven rental apartments with five stores at the street level. The Renaissance Revival façade is constructed or ornate terracotta and limestone with cast iron and wood framed storefront windows. The original metal cornice had been removed at some point in time, unfortunately not documented, and an non confirming roof top addition clad in aluminum siding was constructed prior to designation and inclusion in the Carnegie Hill Historic. The approved Landmarked project fully restores the masonry façade with modifications to the retail units fronting Madison Avenue. A new residential entrance is located on 92nd street in keeping with the residential neighbors. In order to comply with zoning requirements, the non-conforming roof top addition has been reconfigured as a full floor addition, which requires a variance, and is on track for the Board of Standards & Appeals approval in Spring 2015. Other significant features in addition to complete reframing of the interior structure to provide interior egress stairs, an ADA elevator and all fire-proof construction, the heating and cooling system will be generated by geo-thermal wells, eliminating the majority of roof top HVAC equipment. The building is designed with a mix of simplex and duplex rental units.
Rendering of new rooftop addition
Decorative carvings columns near entrance
Manhattan, New York
Carnegie Hill Properties